SMA Alumni Scholarship
Eligibility and Requirements
Any graduating high school senior who has been accepted by an accredited 4 or 2 year institution of higher learning, except one of the four Service Academies, is eligible to apply. Applicants must have graduated between 1 January and 30 June of the application year and cannot have matriculated with any institution of higher learning. Reapplications from former non-awardees are not being accepted at this time.
- Applicants must strictly adhere to the July 1 application deadline.
- All external supporting documentation listed on the application (including transcripts and two letters of recommendation) must be submitted. Documentation confirming SAT/ACT score(s), if not included on transcript, must also be submitted.
- A cover letter requesting consideration for a scholarship and espousing what the words Truth, Duty, and Honor mean to the applicant must be submitted. This letter should provide examples of how those credos have played a part in the applicant’s life. The cover letter should also contain any extracurricular activities of the student during high school.
- The applicant must provide a copy of the letter of acceptance from the institution of higher learning which the applicant plans to attend.
- Submission of one essay is required from a choice of two titles listed on the application form. The essay should provide examples of how the credos of Truth, Duty, and Honor have played a part in the applicant’s life.
- When an applicant is selected for a Scholarship, a personal photograph and short biography must be received by the Committee before monies can be dispersed. We will request these items at the time the applicant is notified of his or her award.
Scholarship selection process:
The scholarship recipients will be selected based on the merits of their application by a Scholarship Selection Committee. The selection decisions will be announced by July 31.
Requirements for consideration for Scholarship Extensions (up to two additional years):
1. Applications for extensions of their scholarship awards will be accepted from most awardees not later than 1 June of their freshman and sophomore years at their respective institutions. Selectees who are attending the Virginia Women’s Institute of Leadership (VWIL) are ineligible to apply for scholarship extensions. The amount of such awards will be determined annually.
2. Applicants will be responsible for submitting an email to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than 1 June of the applicable years and include his/her request for an extension, a short note regarding the applicant’s activities and achievements during the previous school year, and a transcript from their school showing that he/she has maintained a 3.0, on a scale of 1 – 4.0, or a B average. Invitations to submit requests for extensions will not be sent by the SMAAF Scholarship Selection Committee to the students.